HISTORY - The 13th Century
During the thirteenth century much work was done to the building.
The outer walls were built up to the level of the tops of the windows enabling a shallower pitched single span roof to be put in place. As a result of this, the gables disappeared and the Norman windows were replaced by the existing pointed arches. At the same time the rounded pillars that support the nave were rebuilt. Those on the south side are hexagonal and date from the earlier part of the century, while those on the north are octagonal and are thought to have been built during the latter part of the century. The mouldings, caps and bases differ in every detail.
The trefoil-headed south door in the porch was built during the early years of the century and is thought to be the earliest part of the present structure.
The tower was started towards the end of the thirteenth century and completed in the fourteenth century. During its construction a small window, high up on the western wall of the nave had to be blocked up. Its remains can still be seen above the tower arch. It is thought that this window was part of a priest’s chamber against the west wall of the church, enabling the priest to watch the interior of the building and the altar lights.
In 1257, Agnes, daughter of Hugh Robus, an eminent citizen of Lichfield, endowed a chantry in which masses were to be said for the souls of Roger de Wesenham, Bishop of Lichfield and his predecessors. This was at the east end of the north aisle, where the vestry stands today. It was abolished at the time of the reformation.