HISTORY - The 14th & 15th Century
During the fourteenth and fifteenth centuries many small changes took place.
The window’s in the chancel illustrate the changing styles of church architecture. The middle lancet window from the thirteenth century is flanked on one side by a fourteenth-century widow in the decorated style and on the other by a fifteenth- century perpendicular style window.
The east window is another fine example of the decorated or geometrical style constructed about 1300, The stained glass was designed by Richard T. Bayne and manufactured by Heaton, Butler & Bayne, probably at the beginning of the twentieth century.
It is believed that Dr Johnson frequently attended services at St Chad’s. Catherine Chambers, his mother’s maid-servant, and Lucy Porter, his step daughter are both buried in St Chad’s note the tablets on the south wall of the choir].
The altar rail is a good example of seventeenth-century woodwork.