HISTORY - 20th Century
St Chad's Church developed slowly and surely over this period,
continuing to make changes to ensure the comfort of its worshippers.
The present pulpit dates from about 1900 but the recess in the floor was made in 1916. The window at the east end of the south aisle was made by William Wailes of Newcastle in memory of Anne Wright Gresley. It was installed in 1864 and provides the background to the Lady Chapel altar. The Lady Chapel was dedicated in 1952 as a memorial to those who died in the Second World War
The small statue of St Chad in the niche over the south porch door was the gift of Lady Blomefield in 1930.
In 1949 the Deacon Memorial screen was built across the tower arch. It is in the form of a parclose screen, the theme of which intends to portray the life and interests of Alderman J. R. Deacon JP, ‘work , worship and citizenship’. The whole is surmounted by a statue of St Chad holding a model of the Cathedral and a bishop’s crozier in his right hand. The whole interior of the church was redecorated at this time.
In 1952 a new roof and ceiling were put over the nave. Metal was used instead of wood which had been ravaged by death-watch beetle. Electric lighting was also installed to replace gas.
Old crumbling buttresses were replaced in 1956 at the south-west corner of the tower and the chancel was restored. This involved much new stone for the walls, cills and mullions of the windows. The east window was removed, re-leaded, cleaned and replaced. The present choir stalls also date from this time.
The tower timbers were replaced in 1957, a new floor installed in the belfry in 1982 and finally, in 1996, the font was moved to the Lady Chapel. The pews were removed from the back of the nave and the north aisle. During this period a new inner porch and welcome area were built.